Ask the students, “What is a digital footprint?”
- What can be found when you Google yourself.
- Data collected by different web sites you visit.
- Data recorded by email, social networking, cell phone and video game companies.
- Anywhere where you use a username and password.
I then show this video:
I then ask them to think for a minute about their digital footprint and then lead a short discussion around the following questions:
- Why would people Google you?
- What is your digital reputation?
At this point, I ask them students to take out their footprints (see link above) and list the accounts the have online: websites, social networks, phones they text with, video games they play online, etc.
Once they have done this for 5 minutes, I have them enter this data into our homework submission site. This is good data to start conversations about Internet safety in the future.
How do you teach about Digital Footprints?