Today is Tech 5 we discussed how to learn new skills on your own. We looked at a completed Excel Spreadsheet that showed the average words per minute on 11/19/2010 and 1/10/2011 for the section.
Students came up with the following suggestions to learn something on their own:
- Search for ‘create a table in excel’ on YouTube
- Figure it out – Play with the software
- Click on the help button in Excel
We discussed how it’s often hard to figure out how to do something because you need the vocabulary of the software/program to find what you need to learn to do.
Here is the vocabulary to complete this assignment:
- Insert a Chart
- AutoSum: to sup up a row or column
- Create an equation for the average increase in typing
Many times, having someone show you these skills is the easiest way to learn them, but knowing where to go to figure them out is important as well.
The assignment for next week is to watch the following videos on excel. We’ll be completing the spreadsheet at the beginning of class.
- How to insert Data Into a Chart — YouTube
- Excel 2010 Charts at Microsoft.com — Start in creating and then go to Formatting
- How to create basic formulas in Excel 2010 – YouTube
- Excel 2010 Formulas at Microsoft.com
- How to use AutoSum in Excel 2010 – YouTube
- Excel 2010 Sum Formulas at Microsoft.com
How do you learn a new skill? I like to find experts, but also appreciate finding tutorials online. I believe that learning is shifting to be a more independent process in this connected world. An important skill for us to teach our students.