In Tech 6 we’re working on a project to create a Story Corp podcast. Students are working in groups of three and have set up interviews with community members, written questions, and interviewed their subjects. This week, we’ll be editing the audio they are listening to in the free program, Audacity. Here’s the process we’ll use.
- Open Audacity
- Import MP3 audio that we recorded using our Sony ICD PX820 recorder by selecting Project –> Import Audio
- Save the file – Name it with the date of the interview and the subject. For example if you recorded an interview with me, on April 3, 2011 the file name would be 2011-04-03-Ragone
- Watch this video on using audacity:
5. Now listen to your audio. Take notes on the time you begin questions and when you hear great stories. You might have to listen to your interview multiple times.
6. Decide on the most compelling story from your interview and edit it down to 2-3 minutes. You can story board the story and arrange the pieces in different orders if it makes the story more compelling.
7. When you’re done, select File –> Export as MP3 to save the file.
Feel free to post questions below.
I’m looking forward to listening to the audio interviews that you create!
* Image Source: arvindgrover