Here are my closing remarks for the 2011 NYSAIS Education and Information Technology conference. It was an amazing three days that really inspired me to come back to school and make some change. You’ll see some of my goals in this presentation:
Here are the sessions I attended and some of my take away’s:
- danah boyd – Take away: We need to ask our students how they are using technology and be cultural anthropologists.
- The future of SISs – Take away: I’m as confused as everyone else. There are some possibilities out there, but we really need to build this.
- Smartphone policies: Take Away: We need to start talking about PLD – Personal Learning Device program instead of laptop program — Kids should be able to use the tools they carry with them.
- Google Apps for Ed – Take Away: Only a few weaknesses vs. Office. Lots of benefits. Use the right tool for the job.
- Makerbot 101 Take Away: We need to make to learn. How do we find more time for this. Action: Looking at engineering/building programs for Math/Science in 8th Grade.
- Running Effective Meetings – Alex Led: Take Away: Using our time together better. Let the structure set you free.
- Gaming Panel -Take Away: Advertising and Game design is way beyond schools for teaching and learning. We need to be looking into how games can teach us to operate in society.